Thursday, March 5, 2009

Beetles... Old Sketch Thursday 3-5-09

This week's old sketches are inspired by Weirdbuglady's post about scarab beetles. Two stag beetles I drew at RISD's nature lab. The nature lab is a great resource for drawing various plants and animals with the added benefit of their arrested mobility (though I suppose most plants are usually immobile...).

I always planned to make it a habit to go in and draw the animals and bugs there, but these are about the only ones I ever got around to. Both are pretty much drawn to scale.


And here below you can see the adorable stuffed silverfish that I ordered from Weirdbuglady's shop. Unlike real silverfish he is quite cuddly and does not eat book bindings or paper, which is fortunate because he currently inhabits my bookshelf.

1 comment:

  1. I never expected to describe a silverfish as cute - but he is!

    ReplyDelete